Tips from our Team – Remote Working
JMC is committed to delivering our services to an excellent standard worldwide and with some of our staff now working remotely, we wanted to share the below tips which we hope you find useful.
- Prepare for the day and create a morning routine as if you were going to work and stick to it e.g. getting up and getting dressed. It makes a huge difference in your attitude and work ethic.
- Set up a clean, quiet and well-lit area and treat it as a virtual office space. Be aware of your backgrounds during video calls, especially client-facing calls. Efficiency is important.
- Remove yourself from this area to take breaks when necessary.
Set boundaries and manage your time effectively
- Maintain your regular work hours.
- Stay visible – make sure you take your meetings online, and use your video. Let people see your face, especially the people who directly affect your work and your future at the company.
- Structure your day and set yourself to-do-lists. Remain focused and stick to them. This will help keep you on track and remind you what you’ve accomplished at the end of the day.
- Make and keep calendar invites for meetings. Stick to deadlines.
- Set reminders to flag important actions.
- Schedule your breaks.
- Request an extra screen monitor – this can help you be more productive.
- Start and stop working at set times, and follow your normal work routine.
- Arrange daily catch ups with your team members. When you’re working remotely, it’s easy to lose track of timelines, deliverables etc. Talk to your team regularly, schedule check-ins. Stay on everyone’s radar.
- Video communication is key – getting “face time” with others is vital as a “remote” worker.
- Communicate daily and as frequently as possible.
- Avoid isolation by keeping in touch with others.
- Keeping alert and awake is key if you’re home by yourself for hours at a time. Keep yourself active by having some snacks handy.
- Take a lunch break…away from your dedicated work space and get fresh air.
- Go on short walks/exercise or even spend some time in your garden.
- Utilise your time effectively and make it a success.